Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012-The Year of Changes

 

2012 was a big year for both Zack and I.  We started the year as newlyweds having just been married for 3 months, we were still learning how to function as a married unit, and were definitely still getting settled into our cozy little 1 bedroom apartment in the city.  I was working at a retirement community but was feeling very unsatisfied.  After 2 years there I did not see any future advancements in sight and I was feeling very discouraged career-wise.  Not only did my hours stink, Zack and I never saw each other because of our opposite schedules.  It was not the best way to start out as newlyweds. 

383805_2142945898622_399102187_n

In March, I received a new job offer and jumped at the opportunity.  The hours were amazing, more similar to Zack’s.  I was incredibly sad to be leaving all “my residents” that I had built relationships with at the retirement community, but I felt like the change was necessary.  I worked as a “virtual receptionist” at perhaps one of the best companies to work for in the country.  Although the actual work I did was monotonous and was not related to what I saw myself doing long-term… the people were amazing, the work place was fantastic, and I learned so much about businesses and what I valued in life.

422822_522348558603_473387028_n

Life was good, but around September I started getting antsy.  I loved my job so much, but I did not feel content.  I did not understand why, because on paper things seemed perfect.  It was time to reevaluate things.  After talking to Zack about my feelings, I learned that he had been feeling the same way about his jobs.  He liked them just fine, but he wanted more.  He wanted to support a family one day, to be able to see each other more often, and to not have to work multiple jobs just to get by.  God had placed an idea on his heart, one that he brought up to me that day, and after a few weeks filled with a lot of prayer and intense discussion…this idea changed our lives completely.

423202_521790022913_1379725810_n

In October, we both quit our jobs, packed up our city life and relocated.  We spent weeks living with my parents while we redid the condo where we now live…but finally finished and moved in! (Though still have not fully unpacked…) We have a new career, together.  One that neither of us saw coming, but one that both challenges us and fulfills us daily. 

263691_514330531793_7932841_n

To sum up 2012 in a nutshell, I would classify it as the year of changes.  So many changes have occurred this year, some good and some bad, but we have learned to adapt; to lean on God in our uncertainty.  Was it hard? Yes, absolutely!  But we had so much support from our parents, friends, and other family, there was no way we would have survived without them.  I myself suck at change, I am the worst.  I know that I was not a fun person for the last few months of 2012, but Zack has been a lifesaver.  I don’t know how he has put up with me through all of this, but I’m sure glad he did. :)

Much like a lot of other people, the first of each year tends to get me feeling very introspective.  It’s a time of new beginnings and fresh starts.  The first of the year, although really just another day, gives me a sense of rejuvenation.  I have been thinking a lot today about 2013 and how I hope to classify it when New Year’s rolls around next year.  I have decided that 2013 will be the year of gratitude.

197328_665648737948_1253748953_n

  • I want to spend more time with my Bible.  Zack got me a brand new Bible for Christmas this year, and I hope to immerse myself in it as much as possible.  Nothing like a solid amount of change to make you realize that God is the only consistent thing in life with all the answers.  I want to make seeking Him more of a priority.
  • I hope to focus more on being present with those I love.  There are sooo many distractions in life.  I will be the first one to tell you that I love my time on the couch watching trashy reality TV… but I don’t want those things to get in the way of my relationships, and those people that I choose to invest in.
  • I want to stop putting so much pressure on myself to do things perfectly.  So my house isn’t unpacked yet, the laundry’s not done, the bathrooms are dirty.  That’s ok…I want to consistently work on these things, but not let myself feel stressed if they are not perfect.  I want to let go of my control-freak self and relax! I am sure Zack would appreciate it too.
  • I want to work out.  I want to do yoga and be a runner (baby steps).  I want to feel more confident in myself, and take care of my body better.’
  • I want to try new recipes in the kitchen.
  • I want to be a more selfless wife.  My husband is awesome. I cannot believe how lucky I am to have this guy in my life that loves me despite all my craziness.  He is always putting me above himself, and I want to work harder at doing the same for him.
  • I want to be more appreciative.  I have the tendency to build things up SO much in my head that by the time they actually happen, I am disappointed.  This is so silly, but I want to take life day by day and stop setting myself up for disappointment.  I want to be appreciative for the little joys that each day brings, because every day is a gift.

New Year’s is such a great time to reflect on life, and refocus your heart on what’s really important.  I can’t wait to see what this new year has in store for us!

What are your New Year’s resolutions? What was the biggest change in your life during 2012?

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet! It's amazing what can happen in just one year! You have some really wonderful goals, wishing you all the best this 2013!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)