Sunday, January 13, 2013

Where We Belong

I love to read.  I’ve always been a reader, ever since I learned how.  I love to immerse myself in a story and get lost in the characters’ lives.  I would steal away minutes finding every opportunity to read a page or two.  That was ten years ago, and today is no different…although it is definitely harder to find the time to cuddle up with my book.

I do not have a Kindle or any sort of e-reader.  I like the idea in theory but I know I would miss physically turning the pages, the scent of the bending pages.  I like being able to see how far along I have come and far I have left to read as the story progresses.  Call me a book nerd, I wear the name proud. :)

I just finished a book today and I have that eerie sense of dread, knowing that the story is over and the characters’ journey is complete.  I want to use this space to write about what I’m reading, to document my favorite (and least favorite) books.

I have read all of Emily Giffin’s books, starting with Something Borrowed, and ending today with Where We Belong.  I thoroughly enjoy the style of Emily’s writing. (Emily, can I call her that?  I feel like we’re friends… :)  I love how she develops her characters and truly makes you feel like you know them and are experiencing the story with them.

From the website:

“Marian Caldwell is a thirty-six year old television producer, living her dream in New York City. With a fulfilling career and satisfying relationship, she has convinced everyone, including herself, that her life is just as she wants it to be. But one night, Marian answers a knock on the door . . . only to find Kirby Rose, an eighteen-year-old girl with a key to a past that Marian thought she had sealed off forever. From the moment Kirby appears on her doorstep, Marian’s perfectly constructed world—and her very identity—will be shaken to its core, resurrecting ghosts and memories of a passionate young love affair that threaten everything that has come to define her.

For the precocious and determined Kirby, the encounter will spur a process of discovery that ushers her across the threshold of adulthood, forcing her to re-evaluate her family and future in a wise and bittersweet light. As the two women embark on a journey to find the one thing missing in their lives, each will come to recognize that where we belong is often where we least expect to find ourselves—a place that we may have willed ourselves to forget, but that the heart remembers forever.”

The story flip-flops between Marian and Kirby’s viewpoints, each very personal and chalked full of emotion.  Marian has the picture-perfect NYC lifestyle, she is completely put together on the outside, no one knows that she has been hiding this huge secret for 18 years.  Her journey takes her through building these broken relationships, as well as finding a piece of her that was missing.

Kirby is an offbeat 18 year old girl getting ready to graduate high school…if she passes her classes.  She was adopted and never really felt that she fit in anywhere, including in her own family.  She is determined to figure out who she really is, building some new relationships in the progress.

The development of the storyline was really intense, both Marian and Kirby intensely searching for answers to their internal struggles, and the answers to these battles lie within each other, and their connection.

I definitely recommend this book, as well as the rest of Emily Giffin’s.  This story did not disappoint and may even be my favorite one yet!

*Sidenote… I just started a GoodReads account.  Find me on there! I haven’t figured it out yet, but that’s ok. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)