Thursday, February 28, 2013

Confessions of a Bored Bible Reader

Not only one of my New Year’s Resolutions, but an overall life goal of mine is to immerse myself more in my Bible.  One way that I have been keeping myself invested in this goal is to follow the She Reads Truth devotionals via the YouVersion Bible app on my phone.  These have been so great, and the community of discussion on the blog is amazing too.

via

While She Reads Truth is on a little break between devos, I decided to find a new reading plan for myself.  I have decided to start reading more of my Bible continuously (rather than just devos) each night before I go to sleep. I have picked out the 1 year plan called Chronological, provided by Blue Letter Bible.  (I still plan to do the SRT devos too when they start again.)

To be honest, I have tried to read some parts of the Old Testament before like Genesis, Exodus, etc.  But there is so much history and information packed in there, if you don’t have a Bible background like me…you can get confused and frankly, a little bored.

via

That is, until my wonderful husband bought me my new Bible!  You guys, I am serious…I can’t tell you the number of times I have tried in my life to read through Genesis and translate what it means in my life today.  But now, I will be reading through Genesis 1 for example and I’ll have a question in my head about what is going on…then I read the little footnotes and it explains everything I wanted to know plus more!  It makes my Bible reading experience 100% more enjoyable, because I actually understand what I am reading, and it truly captivates me.

Up until this point in my life I have struggled with truly being captivated by the Bible.  I know that is not a good thing, but I am being honest.  I have constantly prayed that God helps me immerse myself in the word, and to keep me focused on my various reading plans…but it never sticks.  I would find myself getting overwhelmed and confused about things.  For me, the key was finding the right Bible.  For me, the right Bible was packed with detailed information about what I was reading and highlighted boxes about important information. I mean, it’s all important it is the Bible after all, but you know what I mean. :)  Maybe that kind of Bible is not right for you, but I encourage you to find the right one.  It has truly made all the difference.

bible

via my instagram

Now I am excited to read God’s Word each night, I am amazed at the information I am learning, and I finally feel like I can stick with my reading goals because of it.  I plan on sharing some of the things God has been putting on my heart lately through this new reading plan, I started writing this post as a preface to something I read last night…but I got carried away so stay tuned! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What kind of devotional or reading plan are you following right now?  What is something God has been putting on your heart lately?

6 comments:

  1. i just blogged about this!!! i am doing the 5x5x5 plan :) i love it because it is only one chapter a day for 5 days. you get two missed days without feeling guilty! also, it you stay in a book until you finish it but then you don't do all the books in order. (it helps with the old testament!)

    http://www.untilonlyloveremains.com/2013/01/bible-reading-plans.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great one! I notice when doing plans that I do get overwhelmed if I miss a day and fall behind...when it shouldn't matter! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for being so honest about your Bible reading! I definitely know what you mean when it comes to reading through certain books of the Bible! It was definitely a struggle for me the first reading through the Bible. I started reading through the Bible again not too long ago and actually started with the New Testament this time around. But when I get through that, I'll definitely have to check out the Life Application Bible--it sounds wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is!! It gives so much history and detail that I would have never known before. I obviously love it...I could go on for days. :)

      Delete
  3. i struggle with staying interested in the old testament. I LOVE the new testament and have no trouble being captivated there but i may just have to check out the Life Application Bible ~ maybe it will help!! I do Jesus Calling each morning and then i randomly choose a book to read chapter by chapter. Right now i'm reading Phillipians and I'm thinking it will be Hebrews next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Jesus Calling too! It always speaks to my heart no matter what stage of life I'm in. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)