Monday, February 4, 2013

My 25th Birthday

Oh where oh where to begin.  Like many others, (so I’ve heard) I always have a sense of dread on my birthday.  I talked about it here, but the expectations are just so high and I often get disappointed.  This year, I decided things would be different.  I decided to take control of my birthday and just spend the day reflecting on the gratitude that I have for being alive.  I would make my own plans, take the pressure off the day, and just enjoy life!  That is just what I did. 

And you know what?  My 25th birthday was easily one of the best I’ve had!

The night before my birthday I went to dinner with my parents and was surprised at their house afterwards with mint chocolate chip ice cream from Baskin Robbins. My favorite!! (I don’t care for most cake.)

Mint_Chocolate_Chip_Quart_7973l

via

It was so thoughtful of my mom to think of the treat I love most, and I loved blowing out my candles stuck in the tub of ice cream. :) I opened up my present from them (an espresso machine!!) and from my sister (all the fixin’s for the machine) and then went home.

In the morning Zack gave me my present (a new camera!!) and we got ready for the day.  We drove downtown to meet my sister, cousin, and brother-in-law for coffee and crepes at Vivace.

untitled

After filling our bellies we parted ways with the guys and head to Lavande Nails & Spa to get manis and pedis!

nails

I had such a great time chatting with them and just getting pampered! We had the place to ourselves and it was wonderful.

From there we said goodbye to my cousin, Jessie, and went to meet Zack.  He had gone to get his haircut so we chose to meet up at my aunt’s house.  I decided that on my birthday I truly wanted to spend time with those I love most…and of course that would not be complete without a visit with my favorite little guy!

coop

This is Cooper, he is almost 5 years old, and he is my favorite.  Ever since he was born he has brought me SO much joy.  He is my cousin’s little guy, but he spends his days with his grandma.  Before we moved we lived right down the street from his grandma’s house so I saw him at least once a week but usually more.  Once we moved this was one of the hardest things for me to adapt to…I miss him!

After this little visit Zack and I said goodbye and went back downtown.  We had decided that for my birthday we would get a hotel room downtown.  The only thing I knew I wanted to do on my big day was have a fancy dinner at The Melting Pot.  I had been there once before, the first time meeting Zack’s parents, and to be honest, I was sooo nervous I don’t remember the food!  I remember it being delicious, but that is all.  We decided that although it is a bit expensive, we would indulge for my birthday. :)

First thing’s first, we checked into our hotel—the Hotel Vintage Plaza.  This hotel is smack dab in the middle of downtown and just a quick walk not only to the Melting Pot, but to Pioneer Place. Before we booked our room we signed up for the Kimpton InTouch Loyalty Program…which I can’t recommend enough!  Just by being a member we enjoyed many perks from the hotel.  We received a $10 minibar voucher, and a $20 dining credit.

IMG_0034

We had stayed here the night of our wedding so we sort of knew what to expect when it came to the room… but this time we were shocked! Our room was huge compared to the previous one we stayed in, it had a couch, starlight windows, a great view of downtown, and a chair and ottoman.  It was very spacious and we were seriously impressed.

We unpacked a little, got settled, and then walked to Pioneer Place.  Zack had one more present for me that he said he wanted me to pick out.  We went to Nordstrom and picked out new jeans!  I am in serious need of jeans, I have not bought a new pair in at least 2 years.  My favorites have holes in the knees and need to be retired…Zack must have noticed. After finding a pair that fit me perfectly, we went back to the hotel to get ready for dinner.

self portraits

When we arrived at the table I was so shocked!  There were rose petals, candles, and a bottle of champagne.  Such a great surprise, my husband is the best!  The hostess asked if he could take a picture of us, I said yes a reached for my camera…then Zack said, “No Ang, he has his own camera.”  I thought this was strange but didn’t think much into it.  Later on he came back and gave us this little gem to take home…

IMG_0065

Such a nice touch!  Dinner was phenomenal.  Honestly, it was one of the best meals of my life!  Our server was great, he made great recommendations and did not mind us asking silly questions about what we were doing. Yes, the Melting Pot is a bit expensive and I would not go there often…but I think you get the service and quality that you pay for.  Both Zack and I were extremely satisfied with our whole experience and would gladly go back for another special occasion. :)

melting pot

On our way back to the hotel we had a mini photoshoot in Pioneer Square.  This spot you stand in and everything echoes.  Zack had never been there so we had some fun pretending like we were opera singers…ok, maybe just me.

pioneer square

Then, naturally we returned to the hotel room and had a mini photoshoot.  I think what I actually said was, “Zack would you please take a picture of my outfit so I can show my sister?!”  Priorities, people. :)

outfit

Did I mention that I read somewhere online if you check-in at Hotel Vintage on Yelp you get something special?  I tried it out and it’s TRUE!  We got a free bottle of wine.  Perks of social media. :)  Then naturally, since we had the $20 credit, we ordered room service for the morning!

room service

This post has become way longer than anticipated so I’ll wrap it up… All in all, I had the best birthday!  I felt so incredibly blessed and special all day long.  Did I mention how thankful I am to be alive?  Because I am.  I actually brought my mom flowers at work on the morning of my birthday, because really, besides God, all credit goes to her for birthing me. :)

Tell me about your favorite birthday?  How did you spend the day?

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I'm turning 25 soon too and I totally know what you mean. This year we're taking a family ski trip right after the week of my birthday so I probably won't have much going on other than that anyway. Totally okay, especially if I can squeeze in some mint ice cream (also my fav!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh yes! It is just the best. I hope you have a great birthday regardless of what you do. I think you should do something special on your big day, even if it's just eating a big bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream for breakfast! :)

      Delete
  2. Aw! looked like a great birthday - loved your date night hair... mine never does that lol :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I just learned how to curl it with my straightener after watching tons of YouTube videos. Took awhile, but I finally got it down!

      Delete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)