Friday, February 1, 2013

Running For My Life [a book review]

Recently I read a short review in a Time magazine about the book Running For My Life by Lopez Lomong.  The article summarized the book as being about Lopez’s life, and his journey from being a Sudanese war refugee to an Olympic athlete.  Immediately I added the book to my list of must-reads.

I have such a heart for Africa, that is another post altogether, but I am drawn to books about the war, refugees, and all the heartbreaking events taking place there.

Occasionally I receive books from BookSneeze.  I am not compensated by them, but I give my honest review, and in exchange they send me the book.  Much to my surprise I was searching the list of available books and I saw Running For My Life.  I ordered it immediately and could not wait to read it!

9781595555151_p0_v1_s260x420

via

Life happened, we moved and lived out of boxes for a bit (maybe we still are?) so I was not able to read it until now…but I am so glad I did!

From the back cover:

“Running for My Life is not a story about Africa or track and field athletics.  It is about outrunning the devil and achieving the impossible through faith, diligence, and the desire to fight back.  It is the American dream come true and a stark reminder that saving one can help to save more.”

Lopez Lomong demonstrated faith that could move mountains.  He believed and trusted God despite his hopeless situation.  He was captured as a young boy from church by Sudanese rebels and forced into a camp to train child soldiers.  With the help of his “2 angels” he escaped the camp and made it across the border to Kenya where he lived in a refugee camp for ten years. 

This story was beyond inspirational.  It was interesting not only to read about his unswerving faith in God’s plan for his life, but also about his adaptation to the American lifestyle.  He trusted God with all his heart and made it his mission to spread awareness and help others like him in Africa.

Obviously I can not come close to relating to the suffering and heartbreak that Lopez witnessed while growing up, but on a smaller scale I found myself relating to other aspects of his story.  We can all remember times of hopelessness and doubt in our lives, times where we cry to God to give us the faith we need to survive.  Lopez demonstrates the importance of leaning on God in all times and power of trusting in God’s mercy and faithfulness.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone!  Men, women, athletes, non-athletes, everyone can take something out of this story. 5 stars!

What are you reading right now?  What should I read next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)