Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Chicken & White Bean Chili [a recipe]

I may not be the best cook (yet,) but I LOVE to learn!  I really enjoy trying new recipes and cooking delicious food for my husband.  There is something about being in the kitchen, following precise directions, chopping and mixing, that is therapeutic to me.

That being said, I am not good at making up my own recipes…I think (and hope!) that is probably something that comes with more cooking experience.  I obviously love Pinterest for this reason, I have tried and loved so many recipes that I have discovered through there.  (I’ve also tried a few and didn’t love them…but that’s another story. :)

Besides Pinterest, I am always looking for new (semi-easy) recipes to try from people I know. This recipe in particular was one that Zack’s mom made while we were visiting, and we both loved it!  I knew I wanted to try and make it at home, but was worried by all the ingredients it included!

One thing I have learned is that usually recipes look more intimidating than they actually are.  This recipe has turned into one that I make probably every other week or so.  It’s fairly simple and the leftovers taste just as good!  Zack’s mom used this recipe from Food Network, but occasionally tweaks it based on the ingredients she has on hand.

chili

Ingredients:

  • 2 cans of white beans
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 medium jalapeno pepper
  • 2 medium poblano peppers
  • 1 large onion
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • salt and pepper (to taste)
  • 1 tablespoon  cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 4 cups (one normal sized carton) low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 limes
  • 1 rotisserie chicken
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves

IMG_0174

(Rotisserie chicken not included in this picture.)

Prepare your ingredients first.  This makes everything SO much easier if you have everything diced, chopped, juiced and ready to go.  I usually chop up my rotisserie chicken first, (not pictured) then…

rinseDrain and rinse the white beans.

smashA potato masher is recommended but I don’t have one, so I use a big spoon. :)

chop

chopping

spicesAdd the chili powder, coriander and cumin together.  The recipe says ground coriander but I do not have that, it works just fine.

juice

cilantro

ingredientsAll the prepared ingredients!

Now it’s time to start cooking!

1. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pot and heat over medium-high heat. I used canola.  The recipe calls for a Dutch oven, but I do not have one of those. I use a large ceramic pot.  It is pretty heavy duty and it does not have a lid.  I have never had any issues with using this instead of a Dutch oven.

IMG_0205

2. Add the veggies and saute until soft and fragrant. (About 5 minutes, add a bit more oil if needed.) Then season with salt and pepper. 

IMG_0207

IMG_0209

3. Add the spices to the veggies and cook for another minute or so to toast the spices.

IMG_0215

4. Stir in the chicken broth and lime juice and bring to a simmer.

IMG_0220

IMG_0221

5. Add the beans to the pot and simmer for 20 more minutes.

IMG_0226

6. Stir in the chicken and cilantro and simmer about 5 more minutes.

IMG_0232

IMG_0233

IMG_0234

Finished product!! It may not look the most appetizing in this picture, but it tastes amazing!  We like it best with shredded cheese on top, and we like to scoop it with Fritos. Tortilla chips work just fine too…or just with a spoon by itself…but I personally need that crunch factor. 

IMG_0236

Like I said, the recipe is very customizable.  Sometimes we throw avocado slices on top for a different flavor, and other times Zack likes sour cream mixed in…but that is not my favorite. :)

IMG_0243

Enjoy!!

--------------------------------------------------------

What’s your favorite easy-to-make recipe?

I would love links if you have them.  Bonus if it gives delicious leftovers! :)

**pssst... I am linking up with Kiki at In Its Time for “The Circle" this month. This is one of my favorite "go-to recipes" that I love! Check out the rest of the recipes here.

12 comments:

  1. This looks tasty. Love chicken and those scoop chips! Yummy. :)

    Thanks for sharing, Angela. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the scoop chips too! They really do make the meal. :)

      Delete
  2. Found you via Mix and Match Mama. Will you please share the brownie Peep recipe? Would love to try it! Between, this sounds so good! Gonna try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! I will find the link and post it to your blog!

      Delete
  3. OH MY GOSH YUMMMMMM and you added fritos even better, we're best friends for sure! ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhh!! BBF best blog friends. :) haha! I'm not joking about the Fritos, they are the real deal.

      Delete
  4. I love chili so much and this recipe looks amazing! I'm going to have to make it ASAP! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!! Let me know how you like it! :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. There are lots of veggies in there, and it's super delicious as leftovers...so I make it alllll the time. Lazy wife award. :)

      Delete
  6. Yum!!! I love how yummy it looks and all of the tasty ingredients, too. And to top it all off, you eat them with Fritos! This looks delicious and perfect for fall. :)

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, I love white bean chili. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)