If you’re anything like me you are constantly looking for ways to sleep in later. I am awful at waking up early… I’m not like a cranky morning person, I just do not wake up. Growing up I had 4 alarm clocks, and I would sleep through them all!
With that being said, it’s pretty obvious why I never seem to find time to make myself a sufficient breakfast. They do say breakfast is the most important meal of the day though, so I decided this needed to change… or I needed to at least figure out a quicker way to make myself something to eat.
For awhile a slice of toast with peanut butter and banana was my go-to. I would eat it every morning, or some yogurt (Chobani to be exact…) with granola and fruit. But sometimes you just want a savory breakfast, you know? And that’s not always easy when you have limited time.
I found this recipe for make ahead mini quiches and have been making and altering the recipe ever since. I love having these little delicious bundles waiting in my freezer, I can just reheat them for about a minute, or even grab a couple on my way out the door and reheat them at work! It’s a win win situation.
Enjoy! (And sleep in a few extra minutes mmmkay? You can thank me later. :)
makes about 24
- 1 box pie crust
- About 5 pieces of bacon (more or less to taste)
- 1 onion
- 1 pepper (your color choice)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Click here for the printable recipe or Pin it by clicking the button on the right sidebar or the bottom of this post!
**The nice thing about this recipe is that it is very customizable. You can add different veggies to taste. This time I just put peppers and onions, but normally I love packing as many as I can in for that extra boost! Just adjust the amount of eggs and milk needed to fill the muffin cups once the veggies are in.
1. Cook bacon. My preferred method is in the oven. I like to line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, set the bacon on there and put it in the cold (not preheated) oven. I set the oven to 400 degrees and let the bacon cook in there while it preheats, for about 15 minutes (or until done.) This makes it easy to prep everything else for the quiches instead of sitting there waiting for the bacon to cook in a pan on the stove.
2. Heavily grease a muffin pan with preferred oil. I used olive oil this time… but I recently purchased these reusable muffin liners which I am obsessed with. Makes cleanup 100 times easier.
3. Prepare your pie crust. Flour a clean surface and roll the pie crust out with a rolling pin. I use a small glass to cut circles out of the crust to fit in the muffin pans.
4. Cut your onion and pepper and cook in an oiled pan until soft and fragrant.
5. When bacon is fully cooked and cooled enough to touch, blot off excess grease with paper towels and cut into small pieces.
6. Shred cheese.
7. Mix the veggies, cheese and bacon in a bowl, then add the spices.
8. Scoop the mixture into the muffin tray, about a tablespoon each.
9. Prepare the eggs and pour into muffin tray. Fill about 3/4 full. (The veggie mixture should be mostly covered.)
10. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. (Or until crust is lightly browned and eggs are set.)
11. After they are cooled, put them in a plastic freezer bag with wax paper between the 2 layers.
Click here for the printable recipe!
Or Pin it by clicking the picture, there should be a Pinterest hover icon available for easy pinning!
What’s your favorite grab and go breakfast?