Friday, March 1, 2013

Heaven’s Lessons [a book review]


Heaven’s Lessons by Steve Sjogren is summarized on the back of the book like this:
“A simple surgery went horrible wrong.  Steve Sjogren died on the operating table.  He encountered a heavenly world where he felt infinite peace.  And then he had to come back—back to a physical reality filled with pain and disability and an endless line of tests…One day in heaven followed by hundreds in agony forged a deeper and stronger faith than Sjorgren could have crafted on his own.  In Heaven’s Lessons, Sjogren shares his experiences and the life-changing ways they have affected his perspective on success, suffering, and the mysteries of God.”
From this review I definitely expected the emphasis of the book to be about his near death experience (NDE), this however was not true.  Each chapter began with a little part of his NDE, but then dove into how it relates to his life now.  I think that overall the book was interesting but it kind of seemed thrown together.  The pieces of each chapter all focused on different side stories and lessons which although were sometimes captivating, there was no flow or relation to each other.
I was pretty disappointed overall with the book and felt like it was more a collection of random thoughts rather than a real life detail of his NDE.  I do feel like the title was meant to draw readers in, and it worked…but then it is misleading because the focus of the book is not on his NDE, but rather the lessons learned from his NDE.  The lessons learned were good ones, but his own opinions, not ones cited in scripture.
Overall I would rate this book 2/5 sparkly pink stars.  Definitely not my favorite, and I would not recommend it to anyone.
large_pink_glitter_star_with_silver_outlinelarge_pink_glitter_star_with_silver_outline[4]
***I received this book free from the publisher through BookSneeze blogger book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)