Friday, March 22, 2013

The Waiting Game

I am constantly reminded of God’s sense of humor.  Maybe it is because I respond well to humor, it is a quality I greatly admire in people…or maybe it’s just the way God works.

My own journey thus far is one that I find great humor in.  God is constantly having to remind me that He is in control and to trust His timing…but I have always struggled with patience.  I am the girl whose parents would not tell her about vacation plans until the night before we left because if they didn’t I would get SO excited and anxious about everything…and it was still 6 months away!

disneyland

My parents own their own business.  I would say that this career for them was both a blessing and a curse.  We spent A LOT of time at work.  We had an office where my sister and I would spend our days watching Disney movies and playing Super Nintendo.  This was awesome, not only for the Super Nintendo, but because we spent a lot of time with our parents.  They worked a lot, yes.  But they also had flexible schedules as business owners, so we had a lot of great opportunities for travel and fun activities.  They were actively present in our upbringing and we are such a close family because of it.

By the time I left for college I was so sick of working at my parents’ business, I did anything I could to escape it.  I had my own plans and that place was not part of it.

Fast forward a few years to when I graduated college and began the job hunt.  I did the easiest thing and moved home with my parents.  It was such a blessing to have a job after college to fallback on…even though it was not something I wanted to be doing.  I went to countless interviews, applied for hundreds of jobs, and was not having much luck at all.  I was stuck there, waiting.

graduation

I was seriously discouraged.  I did not understand why this was happening to me. I was doing the last thing in the world that I wanted to do.

The problem with all this was that I had my own plans.  Sure I prayed a lot, asked God to help me find a job, one that I was passionate about…but did I ever once ask God to show me His plans for my life?  Probably not. 

I did finally find a job at an amazing place and moved out of my parents’ house.  The trouble with this job was the schedule.  I worked opposite hours of my then fiancĂ© and we never saw each other.  I was there for 2 years before I started searching again for a new job.  I then moved on to a new job with perfect hours.  It was a perfect workplace, rated one of the best places to work in the country!  But yet, I was still not content.

I had an awesome husband, a seriously wonderful job, but something was missing…God had given me a bigger purpose, His purpose for my life.  I felt in my heart that this was only a temporary place.  I started to seek Him wholeheartedly.  Asking Him to show me His plans.




It was not long after this that Zack approached me with the idea of speaking to my parents about joining their business.  To be honest, I was completely thrown off.  I had been there, done that, I was not in the least bit interested.
 
But God and His sense of humor urged me to seriously think about it.  He had placed this idea on Zack’s heart and then on mine…and after a whole lot of prayer and petition, here we are today!  After trying to escape that place for 23 years of my life, it ended up being right where God wanted us.
If you would have told me in my first 23 years of life where I would be today, I would laugh at you.  In fact, mostly everyone in my life was thrown off when we told them the idea…my own sister thought that I was losing my mind. 

My whole life I had talked about getting away from this place, pursuing my own plans.  But God’s plans are much bigger than my own and he changed my heart.



I guess what I am trying to say, besides the obvious—seek God’s plan above your own… is that there is beauty in the waiting period.

I truly believe that God was at work in my heart this whole time.  He knew where I would end up, and probably had a few chuckles as I attempted to establish my own plans for life.  But He slowly worked on my heart, showed me what was important and what I valued in life.  Then, when His timing was right, He revealed His plan.

Source: Angela on Pinterest


I mean, I’m only 25, this obviously is not the end of the story…but I have learned that no matter what the situation…waiting on a new career, finding your “soulmate,” or even just figuring out your purpose, God is there in the transition, and that is a beautiful thing.


Source: Madison on Pinterest
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 
How is God at work in your transitions or how has He been in the past?
 
Have a great weekend! :)

10 comments:

  1. Hey, lady! I'll button swap with you! The only thing is...I don't put the buttons on the main page, I put them on my buttons page. So...if that's not cool, then it's fine. Otherwise, I'd love to swap. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, that's completely ok! I'll add yours soon. :)

      Delete
  2. Girl, I feel like you wrote this post just for me! Seriously, I can feel like I'm participating in multiple waiting games in life right now. So thank you for the encouragement and for reminding me of God's great plans. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting is so rough sometimes, huh? It's not fun but I guess it's necessary to become who God wants us to be.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this. It's so wonderful to be reminded to keep our faith in the Lord. He will guide us where He desires us to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!! Thanks for your input, Susannah.

      Delete
  4. God is definitely in the transition! It amazes me how often we (definitely myself included) WANT to do so much but often leave out asking God what HIS plans are for us...great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy!! It's just so much easier to do our own thing...but that's obviously not the best thing for us.

      Delete
  5. Oh how He's been teaching me so much on this very subject the last few years!! I know i shared a little on my blog about how we've been facing a tough struggle the last few years but like you said...there has been so much beauty in the waiting! We are still waiting for God to reveal His plans in all of this and its so easy to get caught up in the what ifs and the unknowns so thank you for this timely reminder to not miss the beauty in the waiting! In my devotional this morning it said this.."Instead of trying to direct Me to do this and that, seek to attune yourself to what I am already doing" and that really stood out to me! and now your post....me thinks the Lord may just be trying to get my attention.... =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great reminder too! It's hard to get caught up in your struggles and not realize what God is already doing in your life...all the blessing you have!

      Delete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)