Wednesday, April 24, 2013

My Ring- [a link-up]

431231_521789324313_1122749810_n
Today I’m linking up with Kelly at Today Was a Fairytale and Cheltee at Something About You & Me to share a little bit about my wedding ring.  She hosts a “Wife to Wife” link-up the last Wednesday of each month and I was excited to participate this month.

I haven’t written much about Zack and I’s love story on the blog yet.  I’m not sure why because I do love our story. :)  One day I will…

To preface things a little, Zack and I knew we wanted to marry each other after about 3 months of dating.  I mean, I knew in my heart I was going to marry him after our first kiss but I wasn’t about to tell him that and scare him away!

We probably would have had one of those whirlwind romances and gotten married super quick except I was still in school, and he was working full-time but seriously broke.  It wasn’t for about 2 years after we started dating that Zack thought that he might actually be able to pull off a proposal.

Of course we wanted to get married, but we both knew the timing wasn’t right and that God would work things out when it was meant to be.  It was October 2010 when Zack was visiting his hometown, I was unable to make the trip with him that time.  All of his aunts started asking him when he was going to propose.  He explained that he was broke and wanted to not only purchase a good ring, but to provide for us once we got married.  His family insisted that those were not good excuses and that everyone is broke when they first get married, it is just life.

After that his mind was made up, he was going to propose that Christmas.  His cousin had been married a few years and her husband had told Zack that he had gotten a diamond from his mother and then designed an engagement ring around it.  He assured Zack that this was a cheaper option.

So Zack started asking around for spare diamonds, (sounds silly, right?) and when his grandmother generously donated one to our cause… he had a ring made with it.

157021_509473325673_3141874_n Little did I know Zack had picked up the ring the morning of this picture.  He proposed 2 weeks later.
 

Now, I am not a picky girl.  I am not one of those girls that had a ring picked out and wedding planned. I was actually pretty clueless as to what I even liked.  The only thing I knew was that I was not personally into the 3 stone look.  I like them on other people, but just not my style.

Zack insists that I told him I liked the solitaire look, and that I told him I hated round diamonds with 4 prongs.  I don’t remember this at all and honestly do not have any strong feelings about these styles…but that’s what he remembers and what he went with when designing my ring.

33823_509819521893_3573384_nI took this the day after we got engaged. :)
 
The proposal itself is a whole other post, it was magical and wonderful and so perfect for me… and the ring?  Also amazing and perfect-for-me.  I absolutely love the style and simplicity, it’s everything I never knew I wanted.  And the fact that the diamond is from his grandmother makes me treasure it even more.  I look forward to telling my own kids and grandkids about my ring and hopefully passing it down as an heirloom one day!  (Plus it doesn’t hurt knowing it didn’t put him into any debt buying it… but that’s just a silly sidenote.)
 
380091_517467674933_1945779046_n

377501_517468638003_1710910558_nOur wedding day!

At our wedding I got a curved band to go with my ring, and for our 1 year anniversary I got a second band for the other side.  I loved the 2 band, symmetrical look, but did not want to go overboard when we were wedding band shopping.  Zack said he had been planning on getting the other band for me since that day shopping for our bands. What a guy.

305928_535653166063_563313207_nWhat my ring looks like now… along with our fun Easter nails. :)
 
I had so much fun linking up and reminiscing about our engagement.  Thanks Kelly & Cheltee for hosting!
 
 


What does your ring look like, or what would you love it to be like?!

16 comments:

  1. I love love this post!!! Weddings are my favorite :) Your ring is gorgeous and I love the two bands!! You arent alone, I pretty much knew I was married my fiance after the first date lol. When love is love thats it. The whole thing about you being in school and him being broke is the exactly same with me and my fiance. We are actually waiting until I'm done with school to get married. A little push from the parents but its ok. I love how the diamond is a family thing. That makes it even more special!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love my ring and loved the opportunity to share the story behind it! Waiting is rough, but when the time is right everything will come together. :)

      Delete
  2. Like you, I prefer simplicity. People go into a ridiculous amount of debt just to have an expensive ring. Some women talk more about the ring than the actual man they will marry! It's sad.

    My ring is plain silver band with no diamond at all. I wanted it to match my husband's, the way my parents' bands match.

    We got engaged after about seven weeks and married five months after that. Sometimes you just know. :) Part of marriage is overcoming difficult times together. I didn't think that finishing college or getting a certain job first was necessary. I think your family is kind of right when they say that a lot of people start out being broke anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea of matching rings!! I think that makes it so special!! It is true, sometimes you do just know... marriage is definitely a lot of work through financial struggles and everything else, but being able to go through it with your best friend makes it so special!

      Delete
  3. So sweet!! Your ring is beautiful and your story so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE you ring!! It's a lot like mine {we both have solitaires with two bands} how cool is that! Thanks so much for linking up, see ya next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting, Kelly!! Can't wait for next month's.

      Delete
  5. What a fun link-up idea! If I was married. ;) I can't wait to read your love story! I love reading about people's "happy ever afters!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kellie! I will have to write that... one day. :)

      Delete
  6. I love that the diamond is a part of your family! That makes it even more special! I can't wait to read more of your love story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that the diamond is part of the family too, it makes things so so special for me. :)

      Delete
  7. Loving your ring & loving that sand picture even more!
    Thank you for linking up with Kelly and I. We hope that you link up with us next month!
    Newest follower on Bloglovin!

    -Cheltee
    http://somethingaboutyounme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting, Cheltee!! That sand picture is from our honeymoon in Hawaii, it was so amazing. I'm ready to go back! :)

      Delete
  8. That's a really cute story, love that his grandma "donated" the diamond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie! It is something that is extra special to me! :)

      Delete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)