Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Another Life Lesson

I was sitting in a church pew alone one Sunday morning a couple years ago.  The fact that I went to church alone was a big deal, that was completely unlike me at the time.  I didn’t know anyone there, and none of the people in my life could go with me that morning… but my soul needed church.  So I went.

I was at a place of uncertainty in my life.  I had been in the “real world” for a few months and it was not what I expected it to be.  Everyone has this idea that you graduate college, get a job, and then everything else falls together.  That was not the case for me.  Things did not fall together like they were “supposed to.”

My soul was weary.  I was completely down on myself and having very negative thoughts about my life and my abilities.  I was overwhelmed.

It was that Sunday morning in church that my perspective was shifted dramatically.

I was listening to the sermon, yes, but if we are being 100% honest I really wasn’t  into the message.  I had been looking down, doodling various scriptures and pictures into my journal when something the man said hit me hard:

“Listen… There’s something bigger going on here.  You may not know it now, but God is doing something in your life.  Something beautiful.”

I swear the man was staring right at me when he said this… and those 6 words pierced my heart.  I knew, in that moment, God was speaking to me.

This sounds silly, even to me now… but honestly, it was probably the only time in my life thus far that I audibly heard God speak through someone and knew it was just what I needed to hear.

There’s something bigger going on here.

God is doing something great in your life.  In my life.  We probably don’t know what that is, but He has promised us greatness.

Sitting here years later, in a completely different stage of life, I can still hear that voice in my head reminding me to trust.  To cling to the promise that He is in control, that He has a plan much bigger than my own.

In my own times of uncertainty it’s much easier to worry.  To let my emotions get the best of me and to think up the worst possible scenarios my mind can create.  But that’s not what we are called to do.

There’s something bigger going on here.

Will you trust the One who created the stars?  The One who has written each of our stories from beginning to end?  The One who knows us, every crazy, compulsive, over-the-top, thought and emotion we have—and loves us just the same?

I am choosing to trust.  Today, tomorrow and the next day I will continue to throw my own crazy thoughts and need for control out the window over and over again.  I will fight the tendencies to worry about everything, because I know the truth I heard that day is one that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

ang beach

16 comments:

  1. oh wow. just wow. i posted a little of my heart and struggle right now on my blog yesterday but reading this is like God just reminding me....just saying it one more time..."hold on. trust. I'm at work." {sigh} the waiting is the hardest and the period of waiting that we're in is by far the hardest i've ever experienced but like you, i'm going to throw my worries and fear out the window over and over again! thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting is definitely hard... it is not easy to "just trust" it is for sure a daily commitment... but oh so worth it!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post!
    A lot of us ended up in your position, mainly due to the economy. We were raised to believe that we would finish college and fall into a good "real" job. Now, many people - like me - have graduated and are working at places like grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! That is so true... it is so hard these days to get a "real job." But I have been so thankful just for any jobs I have gotten in this rough time.

      Delete
  3. i love those moments that change our lives. one time i was at a conference with my best friend and we were talking to some random wise lady at a booth and my friends was saying she kinda feels like the Lord is calling her back to india and i was like i have no idea where the Lord is calling me but i hope it is europe! (because how cool would that be?!?!) and she said something i will never forget.

    "God doesn't call us to a place, He calls us to Himself"

    i knew that as long as i looked toward Him and pushed deeper into our Lord that i would end up where i needed to be. Where He wanted to use me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing!! I love that!! Thank you so much for sharing, I definitely will remember that too!

      Delete
  4. Girl, you know how to write exactly what I need to read! I'm definitely in that "what's happening next?" stage of life and am not sure where exactly God's leading me. I actually prayed for guidance and clarity last night! Anyway, after reading this, I'm definitely adding trust and patience later tonight during my devotions! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kiki! It really is something you have to intentionally remember day after day. Just trust. There's something bigger going on here! :)

      Delete
  5. Totally needed to read this, today. Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. amen. amen. amen. I needed to hear this today...seriously.
    I'm at such an awkward place in life and i'm...floundering.
    So thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have been floundering a lot lately too. This is such an awkward stage of life. :) But we will survive it...and it will make us better because of it! That's at least what I keep telling myself.

      Delete
  7. Yes! I love this!! I am continually amazed with how God uses his people to speak to each other and how much he loves us. My favorite line..."The One who knows us, every crazy, compulsive, over-the-top, thought and emotion we have—and loves us just the same?" He KNOWS and LOVES us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sybil! That's what I have been loving so much about the blog community. There's inspiration everywhere!

      Delete
  8. Beautifully written. And such a beautiful message. There IS something bigger going on. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)