Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The In-Laws [a link-up]

Today I’m linking up with Cheltee and Kelly for the monthly wife-to-wife posts.  This will be my second time participating, you can read last month’s post here.

This month’s topic is about my in-laws…

I’ve heard a lot of crazy stories about in-laws.  Some of my friends have some pretty crazy ones straight from the movie Monster-in-Law.  (Ever seen it? It’s a winner.) I won’t get into specifics, but they are some highly entertaining stories that make me seriously grateful for my husband’s parents.
Meet Karen and Jamie…

inlaws

inlaws2

Not only do I love these 2 because they raised the most respectable, loving guy I know… but they are each individually 2 of the most wonderful, genuine people I’ve ever met.

I was so nervous the first time I met Zack’s parents.  Not only would I be meeting them for the first time, but I would be staying at their house, 5 hours away from my own, for 3 days.  If things went badly I was stuck…

Luckily, from the moment we first met, they embraced me as one of their own, as their first daughter. :)

wedding

Let me tell you about Jamie…he is a funny guy.  I’m not just saying that, I actually believe it!  (*Edit--Zack says he's one fungi...get it?  He grows on you...) About every other sentence or so usually contains an applicable movie quote of some sort. I feel like a genius when I can guess the movie. (Which is about 1 out of 100 quotes, usually from Mean Girls or some Disney movie.)

On a more serious note, I truly admire his dedication to God and his impact on the middle schoolers he volunteers with.

I remember the first time Zack and I hung out…we were lying on the grass outside his house, just stargazing and talking about life, our families, our parents… He told me about his dad and how he was always involved with the youth group growing up and how he hopes to do the same one day.  I knew we would get along just fine. :)

saloon

I was even more nervous to meet Zack’s mom.  Zack loves his mom and always bragged that he was her favorite.  This terrified me because it added even more pressure for her to love me!

Karen instantly welcomed me into the family with open arms.  From the beginning she has treated me like her daughter and made me feel right at home when we are visiting.  I have loved getting to know her and soaking up all of her wisdom, not only in the kitchen but in all aspects of life.

Some of my favorite memories with her were the moments we shared right before I walked down the aisle to get married.  We sat in the little bride’s room and she prayed for me.  She spoke love and wisdom straight to my heart and gave me so many thoughts on marriage that I think about often!

On a lighter note, she is one stylish lady. :)

love

I honestly could not have asked for better in-laws.  They are the best parents I could ever have asked for, second only to my own of course. :) Having a close relationship with them has been such a blessing in my life—I am so thankful for that!  Now, if only they lived closer… :)

7 comments:

  1. You really are blessed to have excellent inlaws! And your father-in-law does sound pretty awesome. I love people who have a movie quote for every situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special blessing!! My in-laws are wonderful as well!! I couldn't ask for a better grandma for my boys ~ i think she had kids just so she could be a grandma!! lol!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it so great to have wonderful, God-loving in laws? It's such a blessing! Your inlaws sound like such amazing people. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a blessing! I have really great parents-in-law too. Like you, when I hear stories from some of my friends about their parents-in-law it makes me realize just how blessed I am to not have to deal with things like that. I really love that your mother-in-law spent time praying over you and sharing wisdom with you just before your wedding. That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great that you have such wonderful in-laws! I also got pretty lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is great to hear that you have wonderful in laws, mine are pretty awesome as well. (at times)
    Thanks for linking up with Kelly and I!

    -Cheltee
    http://somethingaboutyounme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)