Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Chevron Walls [a kind-of-tutorial]

Today I am finally writing this blog post that is long overdue… one I’ve been meaning to write for months!  I want to tell you about my pride and joy…

My chevron wall.

chevron wall tutorial

When we moved to our cozy little condo, it needed a lot of work.  That is an understatement.  It was built in the 1970’s and looked like it had not been updated since then. (With the exception of the kitchen—and even then it was not completely our taste.) Most the walls in the bedrooms and bathrooms were plastered with wallpaper filled with multicolored flowers.  It was hideous.

Figuring out what to do with all that is a whole other story… but luckily, the entry hallway was the one space that was left wallpaper free.  The paint was an old off-white color, so we definitely wanted to paint that a bright white to get a cleaner feel.

Once that was done, I had big plans for the large entryway wall.  I wanted to do something bold, something fun that people immediately saw when they entered our little home.

These were my Pinterest inspirations:






We had leftover paint from painting our kitchen and living room grey, so that saved us a little bit of money.  Using the website on that second pin, Offbeat Home, as our guide, we embarked on our chevron journey. :)

IMG_3182

Instead of using a square piece of cardboard like our guide did, we opted to measure out segments on the top, bottom and both sides of the wall, and then with a chalk line, connect them to form our grid.  We did 12inch by 12inch measurements but this can be adjusted based on how thick and jagged you want your chevron to be. If you don’t have a chalk line I highly recommend it, it is the coolest tool. 
 
via
This is almost exactly what ours looks like.  The line pulls out of the metal part like a reel.  Once you have the line where you want it, you snap it against the wall and it leave the chalk line.  It wipes off very easily too.
 
IMG_3183
After making our chalk line grid we taped our chevron outlines by going corner to corner.  This picture doesn’t look like it, but I was pretty precise in my taping.

IMG_0165

Zack helped me tape too, but after that he bowed out.  At this point we had already painted practically our entire condo, so he said he was done painting… this was my project. :)

IMG_0113

I put tape on the sections I did not want to paint, just so I wouldn’t get mixed up.  I didn’t want to take any chances.

IMG_0114

Another angle, all ready for paint!

IMG_0166

IMG_0171

Painting really didn’t take that long.  I did 2 coats, just to be safe.

IMG_0172

This is the light fixture right in the doorway, I hope to replace this one day too… maybe with something fun like this from Ikea?

IMG_3210

All finished! :)

I found a shelf I wanted to get, also from Ikea… but until we actually purchased it, the wall served as our go-to photo backdrop. 

IMG_3218


Then, once we purchased this shelf from Ikea, Zack and my dad hung it—and I love the finished look!

IMG_0015

My hardworking men. :)  Here’s the complete look…


 
doorbell box

There’s still the business of that pesky doorbell box, it is just really in the way…I wanted to hang a mirror up, or something—much like my inspiration pins—but that box is really cramping my style. 

I also (one day) would like to repaint the trim and doors in the hallway—it needs a touch up from the dull cream color.

Overall, I LOVE my chevron wall.  It makes me so happy every time I walk in the door…and it’s a great conversation piece when we have guests! It has truly become my favorite part of the house—which is a little strange considering it’s just my entryway. :)

What’s your favorite part of your home?
 
Does anyone have any ideas for my doorbell box sitch?  Or what I can hang on the wall that would look good?

10 comments:

  1. oh.My.Goodness!!!!! THIS IS Soooo cute girl:) You guys did a GREAT job!! love KAtie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well....I don't have a doorbell so unexpected visitors have to knock on our kitchen windows to get our attention. :P That looks really cute, and it certainly did make a cool photo backdrop! You had more patience than I did. I never tend to be precise when it comes to painting projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so FUN!! i love it! we rent for right now and have to move fairly often so we don't really invest much time in painting, etc because we don't want to have to deal with painting it back while preparing for {what has so far always been cross country} moves! But I look forward to the day we get to settle down and do fun projects like this to make our home our own!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man this is beautiful!!! i am still scared to tackle it :)

    i love chevron!

    cute blog!

    thanks for stopping by mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I absolutely LOVE this!! You did a GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! Chevron is so much fun. :) And great work, too! Painting is tough stuff and so is taping stuff (I can't even imagine how much time + effort went into measuring and making sure everything was straight!).

    p.s. IKEA is THE best. I love their stuff and have always wanted that pendant light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I can't wait to have a place that I can paint! Have you thought about spraypainting/regular painting the doorbell box bright white so it matches with the rest of the paint on your wall? That might make you a little more ok with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out AMAZING! Love chevron, it is so in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chevron wall looks ah-mazing!!!! I'm seriously impressed. I always wondered how people did it, but using a grid makes total sense!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A canvas picture that has a decent sized wood frame so it isn't flat would be good for the doorbell box. You can put 1 or 2 hinges on the side of the picture and then attach to the wall. This was it swings away from the wall in the event the doorbell needs repairs or batteries, but is nicely covered up. It also hangs properly unlike a flat backed picture.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)