Friday, July 12, 2013

Happy 12th of July!

With the overwhelming amount of posts talking about what people did on their 4th of July, I decided to wait a week… to keep people interested.  Or maybe I just forgot to write about it until now. :) I’ll let you be the judge on that one.

Zack and I worked majority of the day on the lovely 4th—which I might add was a gorgeous day in Oregon!  Usually Oregon has a way of raining on big occasions—you learn to expect it…but not this year!

We had made plans with my sister and cousin to meet up after work for a casual picnic-and-firework-watching night.

Earlier in the day Jessie (my cousin) and Dyell (my sister) had made a trip to Trader Joe’s for some delicious food for our picnic.  They did not disappoint.

IMG_0464

They also reserved an amazing spot on a bluff overlooking not just one, but two big firework shows!

IMG_0438

Little did we know that the neighborhood we were situated in was infamous for their 4th of July celebrations.  We had a live band playing at the house down the street, complete with huge (illegal) fireworks to keep everyone entertained before the shows started.

As the daylight dwindled the street shut down and more and more people filed into our little spot.  There were tons of people setting off their own little fireworks, and the people watching opportunities were plentiful.

IMG_0466

We spent the rest of the daylight playing games, setting off our own sparklers, and generally just enjoying each other's company.

IMG_0462

IMG_0465

IMG_0451

Once the fireworks started, we sat back and enjoyed the shows.  One was much farther away than the other…but it was still so amazing to watch both!

To be honest, I’ve never been a huge fan of the 4th.  I mean the holiday itself is very important to recognize, I am forever grateful for my freedom and independence… but it’s always been one of those holidays like New Year’s or Halloween, where there is so much pressure to do something epic, and usually it turns out to be disappointing.

This year, I am thrilled to say it was different.  This 4th of July was for sure one of my favorites—ever!  I spent quality time with three of my nearest and dearests, and had a truly memorable night.

IMG_0441
IMG_0449

IMG_0444
 

8 comments:

  1. Haha! I know what you mean about overwhelming fourth posts:) But it's so fun to see how you celebrated! Love you fun blog here:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the last picture. :) We might use the "picnic and fireworks" idea for New Year's Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picnics are so fun! Beautiful photos, it looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never too late to post photos of Fourth of July celebrations! If anything these kinds of extended holiday recaps just make the holiday last a little longer. :)

    And I have to say, Trader Joe's really has the BEST food. I love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness do I hate the 4th of July. haha Always have! I think it's because something horrible used to happen every year, and now it's just 'meh' every year. I seriously dread it. BUT, I get overly ecstatic about every other holiday, so it balances out. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a great celebration and looks like lots of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love that last shot! Such a great photo! :) Looks like you guys had the BEST time! I love your little picnic idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness this all looks so fun. Any time you bring Trader Joe's crispy chocolate chip cookies into the mix... how could it not be!? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)