Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Summer Reads [part two]

via

This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

Finished: End of July/beginning of August.

The book in 3 words: unrealistic, dramatic, disfunctional

I had heard rave reviews about this book so I was excited to read it.  Unfortunately I was disappointed.  In the beginning it was promising, the storyline was pretty funny and sounded like it could be a movie… Judd Foxman is the main character and after his father’s death his family decide to honor his wishes and sit shiva together for 7 days.  From there the story went downhill, it became over the top and unrealistic in my eyes, I felt their were unnecessary things that happened that were written in just to get a rise out of people.  It was not my favorite book and I would not recommend it.  This may be in disagreement with a lot of other people’s opinions seeing as it is on the New York Times Best Seller list, maybe I just didn’t get it?  I would love to hear anyone else’s opinions.

via

The Elite by Kiera Cass

Finished: at the beginning of August.

The book in 3 words: dystopian, young-adult, dramatic

This book is the second to the Selection series.  (First book is The Selection.)  I read the first book awhile ago and was eagerly anticipating the release of the second.  It’s a young adult dystopian fiction about a girl named America, who is part of a reality show type competition to marry the Prince.  There is a love triangle involved which is a little annoying in this story because she goes back and forth a lot, but overall it kept me entertained and wondering what the third book will hold.

via

Dancing on Broken Glass by KA Hancock

Finished: at the beginning of August

The book in 3 words: Emotional, intense, creative.

This story is about a couple, Mickey and Lucy, who fall in love and make their relationship work despite their difficult life circumstances.  Mickey is bipolar and Lucy has a family history of cancer.  The characters throughout this story are really what kept me interested.  The depth and relationships within the story are beautifully developed, and Hancock really personifies the small town feeling.  When Mickey and Lucy are given some unexpected news they band together with their friends and family to conquer it all.  This is one story that I was completely satisfied with once I had finished the book.  It concluded well and left me with no unsettled feelings…which if you read my last set of reviews, you know I hate that!

via

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) By Mindy Kaling

Finished: at the beginning of August

The book in 3 words: Hilarious, lighthearted, honest

This book was a quick read, much needed after the drama of the last book.  The tone was very true to Mindy’s personality and I could hear her voice narrating the stories in my head.  It was like you were hanging out with your best friend just reminiscing about old stories and experiences.  Throughout the comedy there were some good life lessons involved, I overall really enjoyed it a lot!  (Not just because I’m a big Office fan.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are you reading right now? 
Or what was your favorite thing that you’ve read lately?

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I am or was really excited to read the Jonathan Tropper book too. :) I read about it a couple of days ago and I really love the idea so I definitely want to read it soon. But now I am prepared and maybe I won't be too disappointed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I really like The Elite series! I am excited to read the third!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Mindy Kaling. I definitely want to read that book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to read mindys boook! i need to hop on amazon and pick it up :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)