Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Jesus, My Father, the CIA, & Me [a review]


SOURCE

I have been in a bit of a reading funk lately.  I can’t for the life of me sit down and stay concentrated long enough to get into a book.  This is why since my summer book reviews, I have yet to read complete anymore books… until now.

Jesus, My Father, the CIA, and Me by Ian Morgan Cron was a “sort of” memoir written about his journey towards finding Jesus despite his difficult life circumstances.  Being the psychology oriented person that I am, I was definitely interested in learning about Cron’s relationship with his father—whom he learned late in his life was a member of the CIA.

To say their relationship was rough would be an understatement.  Being in the CIA meant Cron’s father was a secretive person by nature, but also by obligation.  He was also an alcoholic which made getting to know him next to impossible.  I enjoyed the brief parts where Cron made the connection between his relationship with his father and how that shaped his view and relationship with God.

Besides that part of the story, I sort of lost interest in the other details.  I was under the impression from the title of the book that emphasis would be on that part of the story, but that was not the case.  I felt like the rest of the book’s vibe teetered on impersonal and I was not a huge fan.

In theory, the book was about his life, his relationship with his CIA member father, and his relationship with Jesus…but that was a small fraction of the whole book—and for that I was disappointed overall.

I give it 2/5 sparkly pink stars.

What was the best book you’ve read recently?

***I received this book free from the publisher through BookSneeze blogger book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.***

2 comments:

  1. yeah you would think that with "Jesus" being the first part of the title - He would have more of a place in the book (from what you're saying). it does sound like an interesting read though.
    the best book i've read recently...gah. i dont know. haha i'm currently reading through the harry potter series - and before that i was reading the city of bones series (i have 2 books left there) - so i think if i count those out one of the best recent reads was anything by denise hunter - i love her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I appreciate your honest review even though you received the book free. I always like it when bloggers are really honest about how they feel about a product. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)