Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Fall Reading [a review]

With the cold weather coming I’ve found myself more eager to curl up on the couch with a good book.

Not going to lie, I went through a lull in my reading, I just wasn’t feeling it… but I think my passion for pages is coming back. (Passion for pages? Who says that?! :)

Here are the two books I just finished…

source

The Beauty of Broken by Elisa Morgan

The book in 3 words: Inspiring, interesting, truthful

In The Beauty of Broken, Elisa Morgan, one of today's most respected female Christian leaders, for the first time shares her very personal story of brokenness-from her first family of origin to the second, represented by her husband and two grown children. Over the years, Elisa's family struggled privately with issues many parents must face.” (via BookSneeze)

This book didn’t exactly captivate me, but it had a lot of very interesting and inspiring things throughout that I could relate to.  Obviously no family is perfect and many struggle with really difficult things… Morgan writes this book based on the theory that there is beauty in that brokenness… that “As we embrace our own need for mercy, we can extend grace to others…When we are broken, we are right where we need to be before God.  And where we need to stay.” (Pg. 35-36)

I think since it was written from a parenting perspective I could relate to it a lot more once I have my own children…but until then I’ll just focus on the little tidbits of wisdom I found scattered throughout and relate those to my own circumstances.

“Jesus alone has the power to heal the broken.  Jesus alone has the power to save the lost.  It’s by his would that we find healing.”  (pg. 34)

***I received this book free from the publisher through BookSneeze blogger book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.***

source

Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer

The book in 3 words: Strange, intriguing, lacking

“What does it mean to be normal? This is the story of two odd children who grew up and fell in love, the way they fit and the way they fell apart, how he became an astronaut lost in space, and she became the perfect wife whose “perfect” wasn’t real.” (via Amazon)

There are great reviews of this book everywhere which is why I was so excited to read it!  But while the premise of the book was interesting, I felt the story was lacking.  I kept reading, expecting that connection to form with the characters…but it never happened for me.  I finished the book and thought to myself, “That was it?”  I was very intrigued by the storylines—the main character Sunny and her struggle for perfection, her husband Maxon, the astronaut without social skills, and Bubbers their overmedicated, autistic son. But I never fully connected with the characters and felt like something was missing.  Just my take on it… hundreds of others disagree so I’m interested to know what you think if you’ve read it.

-------------------------------------------------------

What was the best book you’ve read recently? 

Psssst… Don’t forget to link-up tomorrow for the last 30 Days of Thankfulness!

(Not sure what this is?  See last week’s post here.)

5 comments:

  1. hmmm the beauty of the broken looks really intriguing! thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read Brain on Fire (nonfiction), per Karen's recommendation, and LOVED it! I also read The Beginning of Everything (YA Fiction) and really enjoyed it for a lighthearted read. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad that neither book was up there for you. I am in the middle of reading Goldfinch by Donna Tartt which is REALLY good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both sound quite interesting actually thanks. I like the sound of that sentence where it says the perfect wife who whose perfect wasn't real. I like that deeper meaning there :) thanks for the review. I actually need to spend time to just sit and read a book - its such a relaxing feeling and let your mind to the work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i went through a reading lull for a bit too, but i'm thinking that with all the snow pouring down today the couch is truly the best place for me to be :) are you on goodreads? oh, and i love 'passion for pages' -- might just steal it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)