Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Why I Blog About Jesus

source

The other day I received an extremely sweet email from a lovely lady who reads this lil ol’ blog of mine… it was very surprising and genuinely made my day!

But among the incredibly sweet things that were written, she wrote something that really resonated with me… she said:

I want to blog about faith too
but I don't have the courage to do that
.” 

I think it really resonated with me because I get that.

I didn’t grow up going to church much, and only was baptized about 4 years ago… To this day I still don’t know a lot factually about the Bible and the history of things, and the thought of praying out loud in front of people instantly makes me sweaty.

I don’t feel like I’m qualified to blog about Jesus… Talking and writing about my faith doesn’t come naturally to me—it’s something that gives me a lot of anxiety in the days leading up to it.  So then why do I do it?

Ultimately what it comes down to is this…

source

I blog about what's on my heart and not sharing my faith would not reflect who I am as a person. 

It's very intimidating to let that part of my heart be seen publicly, but it's something I have felt led to do.  It is extremely difficult to blog about my faith, especially when I know there could be friends and family members reading that may disagree… But I try and reflect on encouraging verses like Matthew 5:16 which says:

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."

It’s not about me.

Elisa Morgan wrote something in her book “The Beauty of Broken” that I feel is extremely fitting:

“Every time we tell our story, we are giving away a little piece of ourselves.  But that becomes a sacred offering.  When we believe that God inhabits our lives in order to write us an illustration of his love to us, then the telling of our story…will give a little piece of him away as well.” (page 38)

I have been reading blogs a long time and I know certain entries on other blogs about faith have really encouraged me personally.  I pray that through each entry I can hopefully encourage someone on their own journey, or at least make them smile. :)

Blogging about Jesus is hard for me.  I’m not going to sit here and pretend that it’s not.  But even though it’s difficult, when I do follow my heart and express my thoughts on these things… it has been so rewarding!  I believe that through the telling of the stories on my heart, I can hopefully give others small glimpses of who Jesus is, and what he is doing through me.

And this email is just one example of that.

Thanks again, girl! 

18 comments:

  1. such a truthful and touching post - it can definitely be scary to post about things as personal as faith, but i think when we think about it as 'a sacred offering' then it makes it a little easier -- almost a reminder that our stories are the very things that connect us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! This is such an amazing post, Angela! It's a blessing to read about other women's relationships with God - no matter what stage of their walk with Him they're in. You have such a beautiful heart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. It's hard and it's a big calling, but if we're called to blog, then we're called to be salt and light in whatever way God has called us to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true, Angela! I was so scared to blog about my faith at first, but when I realized God asks me to share Him with people who don't know Him, I accepted that call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first started blogging, I never imagined writing so much about my faith. But, now when I don't mention it, I feel like something is missing from the page. I love that quote about God "qualifying the called". Great insight!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen, amen, amen, amen. Girl, you are so spot on with everything you said about blogging, blogging from the heart, and blogging about Jesus. And that pin about God qualifying the called? Love it. I've seen it before online but it never hurts to see something like this and read words like these again! That girl was so wise to reach out to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that quote about qualifying the called. It's so true :) Good for you for sharing your beliefs. It takes a lot of guts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, I feel the same way a lot of times! I didn't really come to faith until a few years ago, but I just know that when God puts something on my heart, I write about it and He guides my words. That's is all it takes to write about your faith, really. Just trusting that He'll guide each word you write for the betterment of His kingdom. Love this post so much girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I tend to blog often about faith specifically--just because I feel that I'm not the most skilled at that style of writing--but I always hope that my blog conveys my faith and convictions, and when I get inspired about some topic in particular, you can bet I will write. Christ deserves all the glory--he should get the very best of our words--I'm always glad to come across fellow bloggers who are bold in their faith! And yeah, it's not because of anything good about ourselves--it's because of Him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Yes Yes! Amen girl! I love this! It's all about Him! Way to give Him glory, what an inspiration! Love that He doesn't call the qualified quote! Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! He qualifies the called! For sure! So glad you are willing to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get it completely! And yes, he does qualify the called for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. amen and amen.
    He qualifies the called! (one of my favorite quotes).
    and we are ALL called.
    I look at blogging about my faith as simply telling my story.
    I love that quote from Elisa Morgan you shared (seriously) - when we give a sacred piece of our story away - we're giving a piece of Jesus away too.
    i'm surprised by how often others relate to my journey with God - just as when I read other faith-based posts I keep nodding my head in agreement. so I feel you angela - writing about our faith can most definitely be a hard process (it makes us vulnerable) - but we do it anyways. <3
    great post my friend, GREAT post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so true! I definetly feel the same way :)
    Great post girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, Angela! And great quotes as well. I feel the same way often when I'm writing certain posts. I just sit there and I will re-read a post three times before I finally hit "publish." I sit there and ask God if this is really something that should be put out there. Even when I think it isn't going to mean anything, I trust Him. And it never fails. E-mails, texts, tweets, comments will flood in from someone who told me that that post is exactly what they needed to hear. And that makes it all worth it. He definitely knows what He is doing and it wonderful that He can work even through our blogs. Even on the days where I just don't understand it at all! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a wonderful post, Angela! I've heard the quote that God qualifies the called, but I never applied it to blogging about my faith. What an awesome thought :)

    xo, gina

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful post, Angela! God qualifies the called. There is something so lovely and comforting in that. He will give you the tools you need. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. I get it! I've been here before. I used to avoid talking about God on my blog because I didn't want to be judged by people. He quickly corrected me by showing me that I was actually ashamed of Him, to which I replied "meeee?". But I am now boldly talking about my relationship with Christ on my blog, because "not sharing my faith would not reflect who I am as a person". He is so intricately woven into my life. If I tried to pick apart the fabric of my life to exclude Him in my blog, everything would unravel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)