Friday, October 25, 2013

on Grace and Family.

I’m from a big family… and through those crazy chaotic Thanksgivings and Christmases I have learned a lot from them.

christmas

I am lucky enough to be blessed with not only unbelievable parents and one heckuva sister... (Yep, that’s a word.) But a huge amount of aunts, uncles and cousins. 

I love my family.

This is normal, right?  But I really love my family.

big picture 2

Growing up not everyone understood these close relationships I held with my family.  They didn’t get why I would prefer going to my aunt’s house over going to other social events.  Or why sometimes I preferred to just stay home and eat dinner with my parents and sister over going out with friends…

Truth is, I am seriously blessed to be able to call my family members some of my very best friends.  They get me.  They’ve known me longer than anyone, and they’ve seen me through thick and thin.

Then there’s my aunts...  I have my mom who is amazing but when I lived an hour away from my mom and was in need of a quick “mom-fix,” I had at least two stand ins nearby that were always more than willing to cook me dinner, give me pep talks, or take care of me when I was sick.  I truly could not lived away from my parents for so long without these quick fixes available.

big picture 3

The great thing about family is that we are stuck together in the best possible way.  We didn’t choose to be related—but we choose always to be friends.  We choose to love each other despite our annoying qualities and rough patches in life. 

My family, time and time again, have shown serious examples of unconditional love, they are incredible.  Throughout each of our lives we all have made some questionable judgment calls and careless mistakes—but every family member has played their part in pouring out their love and lifting us back on our feet when we fall. 

And it is through those less than proud moments, and seeing how my family has so eloquently dealt with them, I have seen tiny glimpses of God’s character.

Because really, isn’t that what relationships are all about? 

Through each relationship in my family (and really, in life.) I have learned just a little bit more about God, and who he is… and through my family, the biggest lesson has been in grace and loving wholeheartedly and unconditionally.

big picture

5 comments:

  1. girl i'm from a large family too and I LOVE IT! it looks like chaos to others - but I love the loud, crazy, running around, talking over each other moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you are definitely blessed to have such amazing relationships with your extended family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! I love that top picture of your family! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww this is so sweet! I love that you love your family so much! That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool is this!!! All my extended family lives overseas, so I just grew up with my parents and 2 brothers. I always thought it was so sweet to see big families together - just like this. What a precious time and such a blessing to have!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)