Today is my 26th birthday! After last year’s extravagant festivities I decided to keep things a little more low key this year… I don’t really have many plans except dressing my little niece up in a cute outfit, and a family dinner. Relaxed, but perfect! :)
In honor of my birthday I wanted to write a little post collecting a few (26!) lessons I’ve learned thus far… Some serious, some not so serious. Just a random collection of things I’ve realized. Plus, my first ever giveaway at the end of the post!
1. Expensive jeans that fit perfectly are worth the splurge. A few pairs of expensive jeans are better than tons of cheap ones that don't fit right.
2. Everyone should work in customer service at some point in their lives. It's very humbling, and teaches you basic rules of respect.
3. Chicken soup and ginger ale are great, but nothing beats the comfort of your mom when it comes to being sick.
4. On a rough day your favorite caffeinated beverage works wonders.
5. Love is both the most simple and most complicated thing in the entire world.
6. Find a friend you can ask advice from, one who knows how to comfort you best, one who can always make you laugh until you cry, one you can sit around and do nothing with, and one to go on spontaneous adventures with... Then marry the man who is all those people wrapped in one.
7. How to lose a guy in 10 days is the most underrated movie ever. Watch it again and again and again.
8. When you are compromising who you are to please someone else, it's time to move on... They are not worth your time.
9. A 20 minute drive for the world's best donut is always worth it.
10. Mental snapshots. Always.
11. ”No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” –Eleanor Roosevelt. I finally understand the weight of what this means and remind myself of it often!
12. Ice cream is a good idea. Always. Even if you're lactose intolerant...
13. Planning your own birthday party/day is ok! It will be exactly what you want and who you want to celebrate with. There will be no disappointments...just fun!
14. It's ok to speak up for what you want... You don't have to be rude about it, just assertive.
15. Life happens. Take a break. It's ok...
16. Your family is forever... Love and cherish this special bond!
17. It's ok to be happy with a calm life. I am learning this daily… I’m sure you will read more on this soon. :)
18. When you are angry, hurt, disappointed, upset... Pray first. Let it all out. This will impact how your next conversation goes greatly!!
19. You can't get along with everyone. You just can't... And you won't. That's ok. Think of the difficult people in your life as gifts. People God is using to challenge and shape you as a person. (This is from a book I am currently reading, review soon!)
20. …and on that note, remember that God loves, values, and respects those difficult people too. I try and think about this to change my perspective.
21. Spend the money on an expensive hair straightener. Just do it. It's worth it. You've probably spent just as much on the 10 crappy straighteners that don't work already anyways...
22. When in doubt, Hillsong on top volume.
23. No matter where you are in life, or what your job is... You can always be a light.
24. Live with your best friends at some point in your life and cherish those moments... Having your closest friends a knock away is priceless!
25. God often uses the thing that crushes us most to heal us completely.
26. Find the little joys in each day. Reflecting on these at the end of the day really turns things around.
…and now a giveaway!
I am super excited to giveaway this sterling silver branch necklace from Blue Nile. They were kind enough to not only give one to me for my birthday… but to one of YOU also! I love the dainty feel of it, it can be styled with a casual or fancy outfit.a Rafflecopter giveaway