Monday, January 13, 2014

Baby it’s Cold Outside (hot cocoa bar) Baby Shower [with free printable games]

Happy Monday!

Today I am SO excited to share with you all the details from my sister’s baby shower. Baby Harper should be making her debut any day now and I can’t wait! :)

You may remember the gender reveal party that I threw for my sister not too long ago… I can hardly believe we are almost ready to meet this baby girl!

Because I was planning the shower for December, I wanted to do a cozy winter theme… and what says winter better than hot chocolate?!  After doing some Pinterest research I came up with a lot of really great ideas. 

(Scroll down for free baby shower game printables!)

One of my best friends rents out her coffee shop for events, and it is in a great central location for most of the guests we were inviting.  Plus it’s super cute so that would minimize the need for decorations too.

Some of the photos in this post are very large.  For optimal viewing on a mobile device, I suggest scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking on “View web version” or “Desktop View” first.

baby it's cold outside baby shower invite copy

This is the invite I made in Photoshop.  I got them printed as postcards via Overnight Prints.  This made them super cheap, and the quality was great!  (Of course there are a few details edited out in that picture for privacy reasons.)

When the big day finally arrived, I was so excited to shower baby Harper (and my sister too, of course) with lots of love.  I wanted to incorporate lots of fun details that I knew my sister would appreciate. 

The girls at Stomping Grounds Coffee House were so much help and went above and beyond with helping me set up and decorate everything.  Plus the hot chocolate and all the bar fixin’s that they provided were just what I had imagined! (My mom, cousin, and mother-in-law were such a great help as well!)

hot chocolate bar baby shower decorations, at coffee shop

For the hot cocoa we had marshmallows, flavored syrups, (salted caramel was a crowd favorite) whipped cream, chocolate and cinnamon powder, peppermint shavings, assorted sprinkles, Pirouette sticks, and chocolate and caramel drizzles.

hot cocoa (hot chocolate) bar for winter baby shower, sprinkles marshmallows and fun toppingshot cocoa (hot chocolate) bar for winter baby shower

My sister may kill me for posting that photo… but I think it shows how much she loved it. :)

Because it was an evening shower, we decided to stick to mini desserts.  Stomping Grounds provided the scones (which were so delicious!) and we made mini cupcakes, brownies, and macaroons.

mini scones for hot chocolate themed baby shower bar

pink mini cupcakes for baby shower

For decorations we kept it simple with just a few touches.  Like I said before, Stomping Grounds is so beautifully decorated (especially for the holidays) we didn’t need to do much.

baby shower decorations (hot cocoa bar at baby shower)

Zack and I bought this sign for Harper awhile ago, and I thought it was the perfect table decoration.

burlap banner for baby shower

I made this burlap banner from a table runner we had from our wedding.  I loved it so much that I made one for myself. (Seen here!)

As far as games go, I love shower games, but I know a lot of people (especially in my family) don’t… so I wanted to keep things simple with just a couple non-awkward activities.

2 out of 3 of the activities were laid out for people to do on their own time while they were mingling.

The first thing was to have people write messages on newborn sized diapers. It was a big hit, and I know the mom and dad-to be will definitely have a laugh at some of them.

The mom and dad have not peeked at these yet so they can be surprised when they pull them out of the drawer.  Here are a few of my favorites… (Danielle and Shawn, if you’re reading you’d better skip this part!! :)

IMG_1654 (2)IMG_1657 (2)IMG_1658 (2)

As you can see, people got very creative. :)

Instead of a traditional guestbook, I wanted to do something that my sister could keep… and even something Harper could one day see and know how loved she was, even before she was born!

I made these “Wishes for Baby” sheets for people to fill out and put in a small binder. (Found at Target.)  Some people wrote funny responses, some deep and meaningful… there’s a great assortment.  We loved this so much we actually printed out more sheets for people that weren’t at the shower to fill out… (Like Uncle Zack and Grandpa. :)

IMG_1527 (2)IMG_1529 (2)IMG_1530 (2)wishes

Click the blue and/or pink images below to go to a free “Wishes for Baby” Printable—in blue or pink!

wishes for baby boywishes for baby girl

The last activity, and arguably the only true “game” we had, was played while the mom-to-be opened gifts.  The first time I saw this played was at the Baby Shower Brunch we threw for my cousin.  It was a big hit so I decided to have it at this baby shower too!

Prior to any gifts being opened, we handed out the blank “Bingo” boards.  Each person filled out each square that they thought the mom-to-be would open up.  Then, once she opened that item, they could mark it off on their board!

Click the blue and/or pink images below to go to a free “Baby Bingo” Printable—in blue or pink!

Baby bingo boyBaby bingo girl

151152202

She got a lot of great gifts!

128

There was, of course, a prize for the winner. :)

Overall I think everyone had a great time—and and the shower was a success!

120

My sister with a few of her “moms.”  (And our real mom too! :)

My 2 moms. :)  (Zack’s and mine.  Gosh I love them!)

Typical Jessie… :)

For favors we made this delicious white chocolate peppermint popcorn… (Click here for the recipe!) and packed it in little Chinese food boxes with homemade labels. (Via Photoshop.)

ready to pop popcorn favors for baby showerfinal

Love you Danielle!  I just can’t wait to meet my little niece! :)

baby shower game ideas with free printables

Remember, you can save any of the ideas on this post via Pinterest by hovering on the picture and clicking the “Pin it” button.

----------------------------------------------------

What’s your favorite baby shower game? 
What’s your favorite hot chocolate topping?

10 comments:

  1. A baby shower in a coffee shop with a hot chocolate bar and amazing sweet treats? YUM. :) I love all of the party decorations and little details and games you planned and created, too. You are such the party planner, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks absolutely WONDERFUL! you did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome party!!! You are so creative! I'm sure your sister felt so loved! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a hot chocolate bar for a baby shower, and LOVE the diaper idea, so creative!!! It looks like a lot more fun than a lot of the baby showers I've been too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i guessed right!! looks like so much fun - might have to steal this idea when my own sister gets pregnant (hopefully soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was by far the greatest blog post ever!!! Loved the shower!! Harper is so loved!!! The shower was amazing! Thank you so much Ang!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela! Where do I start?! So much to love! You did a wonderful job on this shower! It's all so adorable! All that food and all the cute decorations! The diapers are hilarious! I've only ever seen that done at one other shower and it cracked me up! Also, this is totally random, but I have that same binder from Target in blue! I got a couple of them to put our Christmas cards in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything about this is PERFECTION! I can't wait until my sister has a little one so I can use some of these ideas! Thank you so much for sharing!

    Brittany @ Everyday Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings from Ohio - This page was wonderful. I'm so glad I came upon your blog. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas; I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait...was this done in Gresham, OR?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)