Friday, February 28, 2014

Hair Care Friday [guest post]

Happy Friday, friends! 
 
Today I have a wonderful guest post for you, from a new blog friend of mine!  Brandy over at Wonderfully Messy Mom has a great blog packed with amazing posts about faith, diy projects, and healthy living!
 
Today Brandy is going to share some homemade hair mask recipes, perfect for throwing together a little at-home spa night.  I am heading north for the weekend to spend some quality time with 4 of my favorite ladies and I am SO excited!  We may just have to try out some of these recipes. :)
 
----------------------------------------------------- 

Hair Care Tips Thursday

Homemade Hair Masks


Hi Harrells On Hood readers! 
I am excited and honored to share with you today some simple hair masks you can use for any hair type you have. But first I would like to introduce myself. I am Brandy and I mess around over at Wonderfully Messy Mom
Just a small bit about myself:
 
~ I love to share everyday household and beauty products you can make yourself. They are so much better for you and cost pennies on the dollar to make!

~ I have 3 children, who I adore {most of the time}, I have been married for 9 years, and have no pets :-(

~ I also have extremely long hair {past my bottom} and I do not ever cut it, so when it comes to hair care, I am extremely PICKY!!


So last week I talked about dry hair, this week I will share with you some great hair masks that can combat dry hair, add shine or for any hair that just needs some extra conditioning love!!
So what exactly is a hair mask? Well, it's just coating your hair in all this yummy goodness and letting it sit for 10-30 minutes before washing. It can provide deep conditioning, repair and shine. Sounds good doesn't it? Well, lets get started!!

Egg Conditioner
1 teaspoon oil {argon, grape seed, olive oil}
1 egg yolk
1 cup warm water {not hot}
In a bowl, beat the egg yolk until frothy. Add oil to the egg and beat again. Add water. Work the mix into your hair. Leave for 10 minutes before rinsing. Using hot water will COOK the egg and cause chunks...just so you know!


Avocado and Coconut Conditioner
Avocado
Coconut Milk
In small bowl mash avocado. Add enough coconut milk {canned is ok} to cover the avocado, mix well. Use a comb to ditribute the conditioner in hair {be gentle, we do not want you pulling out hair}. Leave for 10-15 minutes before rinsing out. 

Tropical Hair Mask
1/2 ripe banana
1/2 avocado
1/4 cantaloupe
1 tablespoon wheat germ oil
1 tablespoon plain yogurt
Combine all ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth. Work mixture through hair, leave in for 15-20 minutes. Rinse hair with cool water. 

Conditioner with No Oil
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 avocado
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon real mayo
Combine all ingredients and apply to dry hair, avoid the scalp. Leave mask on for 25-30 minutes. The last five minutes rub gently into scalp. Rinse hair with warm water for several minutes. 
Extra conditioner that is not used can be store in the fridge for up to one week. 

Moisture Intense Conditioning Mask
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon honey
After shampooing and towel drying your hair, work this mix into your hair and cover with shower cap. Allow to sit on hair for 15-30 minutes. Rinse and re-shampoo hair. {You can even rinse hair and skip the initial shampoo, just shampoo after mask is removed.}

Rosemary Softening Conditioning Mask
2 to 5 drops Rosemary essential oil
1 teaspoon olive oil, slightly warm.
Blend the two ingredients together. Apply to damp hair and gently massage into hair and scalp. Cover with shower cap or apply a warm towel over hair. Leave mask on 30-45 minutes {no longer than one hour}, longer is better. Wash the oils out and rinse with cold water for extra shine. 
Well, that is my list of hair masks for you. Just a few things to fill you in on. 

*Egg yolks will cook in hot water. So if using a mask with eggs, always rinse with warm {almost cold} water. Trust me, this can be a mess, little chunks of egg are extremely hard to remove from hair!

*Lemon juice will lighten your hair, so if you have dark hair and do not want to lighten hair, you might want to skip that one. 

*Rosemary is great for itchy, dry, dandruff prone scalps. 

*All these recipes are for shoulder length hair types, longer hair will probably need to double recipe. 

Next week on my blog I will share with you some homemade shampoo and other conditioning recipes!!
 
I hope you enjoy these recipes, if you have a great hair mask you want to share, please spread the conditioning love!!

You can find me at any of these places~
namesignature1

6 comments:

  1. I've never tried a homemade hair mask, but these sound like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very healthy for you hair! You would enjoy making them!

      Delete
  2. I need to try these, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you do try them!! You are welcome!

      Delete
  3. hey brandy - thanks for these wonderful shares. i've been thinking about trying the no-shampoo method for a while, but i think maybe switching to all-natural washes might be a better option :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Everyone has different experiences with the no-poo method so I don't want to knock it to bad. I hope you enjoy!

      Delete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)