Monday, February 3, 2014

Random Acts of Happiness [guest post-Apartment Wife]

Happy Monday, friends!  In case you forgot... while I am off spending time with my family on vacation, I wanted to introduce you to one of my favorite bloggers each day!
 
Today's post is by the lovely Jennifer from Apartment Wife.  Not only is she a spectacular writer, but she has the biggest heart!  Some of my favorite posts of hers are part of her Random Acts of Happiness series where she attempts to make connections with people in the city and make them smile... Read more below. :)
 
xoxo-Ang
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 

Image

I started doing Random Acts of Happiness in an effort to connect with strangers and make them smile. The anonymity of the city can make it a lonely place, but I believe that kind gestures break down barriers and help form friendships.

I moved to Minneapolis from Wisconsin in May 2013, and my first Random Act of Happiness experiment happened shortly after. For the first project, I screen-printed poems onto balloons, and then I hung the balloons on doorposts and bike handles around the city. The poems read as follows:
 
“I talk to strangers hoping to meet someone like you”
“a day without you is like a morning without coffee”
“your smile made me forget my parking ticket.”

The funny thing about the experiment was how much it served to brighten my own day. I welcomed a break from my own problems to think about making others smile, and it was fun to imagine how people would react to the project.

Angela wrote a holiday post about "gifting for a cause" and it made me think about how to incorporate her idea into my guest post. After a little thought, I decided to share an experiment that involved a 3 Strands bracelet.

3 Strands bracelets are made by girls rescued from the sex-trafficking industry, and all the proceeds help survivors begin a new life. Each bracelet is handmade by the survivor and displays a beautiful stone interwoven between 3 strands of yarn. The stone is hidden within the 3 strands to symbolize how the girls felt invisible to the people that used them in the past.

Heavy subject matter for a happiness experiment, but I hoped to support the survivors by giving a 3 Strands bracelet as a gift. The experiment took place at the Mall of America, and it only took 2 minutes to find someone that could use a smile. I approached a girl taking a lunch break from work, and handed her the small yellow box. She looked surprised as she accepted the gift, but she broke into a big smile when she opened the box. Here are some photos from the experiment:

Image ImageImageImageImage
 
How can you help make someone's day today?!

3 comments:

  1. How thoughtful is this!! I love this <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet! What a blessing you are in the lives of others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome! I'm always amazed by stories of random acts of kindness and it inspires me to do them more in my life. I've actually heard of 3 Strands and have one of their bracelets! My friends and I were exploring shops in South Lake Tahoe and saw them sitting at the register and two of us purchased them. Loved learning about the organization and their cause!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)