Monday, March 30, 2015

Bible Journaling

And now a break from the typical baby posts. ;)

Have you guys ever heard of Bible Journaling??

I’m not sure if this is a new thing or if I’m just behind the times… but lately I’ve been spending an embarrassing amount of time on Instagram looking at the hashtags #biblejournaling and #illustratedfaith. This is definitely a hobby I can get on board with…

Basically, you order a Bible Journal, and draw/write/doodle whatever you’re inspired to in the margins!

A few years ago I read the book Praying in Color by Sybil MacBeth and it really resonated with me.  I’ve always been a doodler.  In school I concentrated better by drawing or doodling while listening to the professor speak… it really helped me focus. 

Sometimes I find myself sitting with certain verses after reading my Bible or listening to a worship song and I’m inspired.

bible journaling2

I think one day soon I will get myself some Bible Journaling supplies… but because we are broke and have a stupid amount of hospital bills to pay—I will have to wait a bit to make these purchases. :)

bible journaling

But just because I am waiting to make these purchases, that does not mean I can’t dream.  Here are the supplies I think I would pick out if I were to start this hobby…

bible journal copy[Photos via Amazon]

1. A Journaling Bible: I’ve heard great things about this ESV Journaling Bible.  The pages are thick enough to not leak through!  I also love the looks of this NIV one.

2. Nice Pen Set: I love the idea of these Pigma Micron pens.  They have great reviews and come in fun colors!  They are fine point and will not leak through the pages.

3.Crayola Twistable Colored Pencils or Crayons: I normally am a marker girl through and through, but in a Bible these would be good for detail work.

4. Basic Watercolor Set: I am not sure how much I would use watercolors, but it would be fun to try.  I’ve seen some really cool pictures of Bible Journaling done with watercolors.

5. Date Stamp: I love the idea of dating your journal entries so you can look back on them later and reflect where you were at in life when you did them. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That’s it! 

Some people also use stickers, stamps, and other crafty items, but I think I would mostly stick to the drawing and doodling.

I have this vision that it would be awesome one day for my kid(s) to look through my Bible Journal one day and see how certain verses resonated with me and inspired me to create!

I can’t wait to try it, what about you?

If you’re interested, check out my new Bible Journaling board on Pinterest.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of people who can do this! I have the worst handwriting and can't draw so I'm NOT even going to try!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of Bible journaling and think it's so cool to see how others connect with God on a more artistic level!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! This is such a good idea!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of this from a few different sources recently. I'm not a 'doodler', and I don't write in my Bible often, but I've had the same Bible since I was 10 years old and over the years it's collected lots of notes about how different verses have applied at different times in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay loving this post! I was looiking through hashtags on instagram not just a month ago wishing I could do this! But given that I struggle daily to just sit and read the bible - i figure I'm not at this level yet! But it is totally gorgeous isn't it and I do want to grab a journalling bible definitely . perhaps all these pretty items will help make me read daily :D ;)

    even better - you just did the work for me :D

    OMG i LOVE the NIV journal bible - Thank you Ange I'm going to purchase it haha. that didn't take long did it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)