Thursday, October 15, 2015

Catching Up

Since JJ was born, I’ve had the opportunity to review a few products via BzzAgent and Influenster… But am just now getting to write up my thoughts on them.

So here we go…

(Like always, I did receive these products for free in exchange for my honest review.  All thoughts are 100% my own and I was not compensated for them.)

First up was the International Delight Iced Coffee & Chai Tea Latte.  I received a coupon in the mail for a free one of these, so I had to choose between the chai and coffee drinks.  At my local store there was the flavor choice of Mocha, (Regular or Light) Caramel Macchiato, (Regular or Light) or Vanilla (Regular or Light).  Since then I’ve seen that there are a couple others of the Coffee flavors like Coldstone Creamery Sweet Cream and Hershey’s Cookies ‘n Cream.

I should preface this by saying that when I order my coffee I almost always ask for half sweet.  I don’t love my coffee sweet, I like to actually taste that coffee flavor.  When choosing my International Delight Iced Coffee flavor I chose the Caramel Macchiato Light, thinking that the “Light” would be less sweet… This may be the case, but it was still way too sweet for me!  The caramel flavor tasted very phony and there was no trace of any coffee flavor.  There’s no way I could sip on a whole glass full of this like intended.

I ended up using a dash of this as a creamer in my regular coffee, but overall I’m not a huge fan of the Caramel Macchiato flavor.  I would, however, be interested in trying the Sweet Cream and Cookies ‘n Cream flavor… but I have a feeling they would still be too sweet for my taste.  (They might be better as creamers, though. :)

Next was the Secret Outlast Completely Clean Clear Gel.  I use Secret deodorant on the regular, but I use an invisible solid instead of the gel.  I love the idea of the clear gel because there’s nothing I hate more than finding white marks on my clothes throughout the day!

This sample that I received was not my favorite.  I learned that I am not a gel deodorant kind of girl.  I felt like it never fully dried after application and my armpits felt sticky all day long.  The other thing I didn’t love was the scent.  I received the Completely Clean scent which smelled like baby powder… it was a bit too overwhelming for my taste.

The deodorant I use regularly, for reference, is the Scent Expressions Invisible Solid in Cocoa Butter Kiss scent.

I was sent via BzzAgent 2 of these Beech-Nut Organic baby foods.  We received the just sweet potatoes and just apple, raspberry & avocado flavors.  I haven’t written about out feeding JJ “adventures” yet… but we are going the puree route first, mostly due to this book. I am making his purees with fresh fruits and veggies and pouring the purees into ice cube trays.  Once frozen, I pop them out into freezer bags so they are all ready to go.  Each day I will pull one or two cubes per serving for the next day and they will thaw in the freezer overnight.  The next day I will heat the container up on the stove (sometimes adding some breast milk to thin, sometimes not) and then feed JJ!  It’s super simple and I have actually enjoyed the process, especially knowing exactly what my baby is eating… that there are no preservatives, artificial colors, etc. being added to it.

With that being said, these Beech-Nut Organic foods have been great not only because, like my own purees, they have just the fruits or veggies as ingredients, but they are also nice for easy on the go feeding.  I have used them when I forgot to thaw some cubes the night before, and also when going out and about for the day.  It was nice to just throw the food in my bag and not worry about packing a cooler and ice pack to keep it fresh! 

In general, JJ is not a fan of sweet potatoes, (despite everyone saying that all babies love sweet potatoes) so he didn’t like that flavor… but he loved the apple, raspberry, & avocado flavor.  We divided the container into 3 different portions and mixed them with (homemade) rice cereal.  Big success.  I would definitely consider buying more of these if we needed some food packed on the go, or if we were out and about and needed to buy some food for JJ right then.

I am definitely a coffee girl through and through, but I was interested to try these V8 V-Fusion® +Energy Drinks.  It has a full serving of fruits and veggies, B Vitamins and Vitamins A+C, and no added sugars. Unlike most energy drinks around, these have natural energy from green tea giving you 80 mg of caffeine in each can.  (For comparison, an 8 oz. cup of brewed coffee has 90 mg of caffeine.)

The verdict?  Delicious!  I tried the Peach Mango flavor and it truly tasted like fruit juice.  As for the energy factor, I didn’t notice a difference… but I didn’t notice a change from not having my usual cup of coffee, so that’s a plus!  Zack drinks Monster Energy Drinks quite often so I would love to switch him to these… but I’m not counting on it, he’s stubborn.

Overall would I buy these on my own?  Probably not, I definitely prefer coffee instead… but some days you need an afternoon pick-me-up and you don’t always feel like coffee, so I would consider these.  A nice change of flavor… But not something I would buy regularly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tried any new products lately that you loved?!

1 comment:

  1. my local grocer sells the Beech-Nut baby purees, and i love it! i thought about making my own, but when i realized i could buy this brand - containing just fruit and nuts - for only a dollar? well.. i went this route :) might try my hand at making his food once he's eating more than once a day though (he's still mostly BF)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)