Sunday, August 7, 2016

Recent Reads

I am going to blame the busy summer and an always busy toddler on my lack of blog posts, and my lack of time to read!  By the time I have a minute to sit down, unwind, and relax, even the idea of reading a book sounds like work to me.  I do miss it though, and I have a whole stack of books waiting for me when my passion for reading returns.  (Including the new HP!)

Here are two books I’ve managed to squeeze in lately, both courtesy of Book Look Bloggers in exchange for my honest review.

Passion by Louie Giglio

“What exactly is it that instills passion in a person’s soul? What brings the fire to make a difference, the desire for significance, the power to live a life that matters? And who will lead us in this quest toward the future of the Church? In this remarkable book, some of today’s most gifted communicators highlight the dedicated generation that is rising up to show us how to lean toward the centrality of Jesus Christ and His bright light of glory that brings purpose to our own lives and proper glory to God the Father.”

I am a big fan of Louie Giglio after seeing this message by him one night in college at a night chapel.  (If you haven’t seen it, seriously watch it—it’s amazing.) Other people know Louie from his Passion conferences, which I had never heard of before… so I was interested to see what this book would be all about.

This book, Passion, much like his conferences is more of a collection of messages by some of Christianity’s most well-known pastors and speakers.  Each message ranges from 10-20 pages, which I really appreciated.  Being a busy mom it’s hard for me to read books because when I do I’m constantly interrupted… so these shorter segments made it easy to set down and pick back up later.  I also enjoyed the content matter as well, some more than others which is to be expected, but the overall message of the book is apparent and inspirational… "Yes, Lord, walking in the way of your laws, we wait for you; your name and renown are the desire of our hearts." -Isaiah 26:8

The Red Sea Rules by Robert J. Morgan

“Just as Moses and the Israelites found themselves caught between "the devil and the deep Red Sea," so are we sometimes overwhelmed by life's problems. The Red Sea Rules reveals that even in the midst of seemingly impossible situations God promises to make a way for us. His loving guidance will protect us through danger, illness, marital strife, financial problems, or whatever challenges Satan places in our path.  Using the Israelites' story in Exodus 14 as an example, Robert Morgan offers ten sound strategies for moving from fear to faith.”

The premise behind this book is basically, “The same God who led you in will lead you out.” Understanding that Christians’ lives aren’t meant to be easy is a hard realization.  God allows our faith to be tried, and although sometimes these trials are more than we can bear… Jesus can bear it all for us.  These 10 rules outline what to do when faced with life’s trials and tribulations.  This book is packed with helpful verses and wisdom to tap into in the face of life’s obstacles.

 

What’s the best book you’ve read recently?

1 comment:

  1. That second book sounds like one that I need to read. Not that I don't already have wayy too many books on my nightstand/bookshelf. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet words! I value each and every comment and do my best to respond to them all via email--so be sure to leave your email address. Hope you have an amazing day! :)